featured fix

Fixed Steelseries Sensei Rubberized Raw Mouse Wheel Jump

7:18 PMPier78

So today I just received my Steelseries "Skates" that I got off of ebay from a seller named ITakTech (ebay user named takasta12). They were about 3.99 and shipping was free. It took about a week (which is arguably pretty fast) to receive the item despite the seller shipping from China. This may have been due to the fact that the item was sent in an envelope (regular letter envelope) since the package containing the mouse skates is so small. Though I will say you should not expect fast shipping from these Chinese sellers as I've ordered o-rings for my Mechanical Keyboard's cherry mx switches nearly 3 weeks ago and they still have not come... Overall the skates are just good if not better than the skates the Sensei came with when I bought it off Amazon.





If you plan on opening up your mouse, these are absolutely necessary since the screws for the mouse are placed conveniently underneath the skates so the old ones will likely become ruined when you remove them. 





So the issue with my mouse was described in my last post where scrolling the mouse wheel DOWNWARD will occasionally scroll the mouse UPWARD which causes a stuttering effect and will often make me lose my position when reading long blocks of text where I need to scroll.


Turns out the issue was caused by the same issue in my death adder. I don't know if I use the scroll wheel too often, too aggressively or what--but the issue is that the mechanical component the mouse wheel is inserted to for acquiring scrolling input just plain sucks. It's design is very prone to wear and tear.



Click to Enlarge
So for the fix, as seen in the picture above, I have 6 red arrows. These are the points in which I used a pair of PLIERS, and squeezed the component at each pair of arrows (top & bottom, upper left & upper right, lower left & lower right). Do not apply too much force/pressure as you can break the component. As shown in the red circle, one arms of the metal bracket surrounding device appears to have bent away from the device. This happened to be the cause of the issue on my mouse. After applying pressure to force the metal bracket back towards the black plastic wheel piece, the stutter/jumping from the mouse wheel scroll stopped.

Keep in mind I left my mouse plugged in while doing this so I could test if the stuttering has stopped.


Nevertheless I felt that the metal arms should wrap all the way around the device (e.g. a complete metal ring) rather than wrapping around just the edges. The way the device is designed right now although likely cheaper and easier to manufacture is also easier to become malformed and give users headaches.


You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Hello. I had the same problem and solved it after reading your post. Thank you for the information.
    Didn't think i would have any problems with a mouse for this price in a couple months. There were no any ones with 10$ mouses.
    Do you still use sensei? How long was it ok after fixing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casus, I still use my Sensei, unfortunately the scrolling behavior returned after about 1-2 months of usage again so I'm thinking about replacing this mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer, I've been having the same problem. Couldn't figure why it seemed to be getting worse, but that explains it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer, I've been having the same problem. Couldn't figure why it seemed to be getting worse, but that explains it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you really much! You saved me 50 dollars

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you a lot for this! I had been struggling to find a solution for the jumping (cleaning it, poking it with random objects and all between earth and space). ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Resolved the same issue with my Steelseries Raw. I've been living with it for YEARS. Thank you Sir. I saved the tracks by carefully removing them with a very thin screwdriver tip. Start peeling them carefully (not bending too much) once you lift the edge a little bit instead of scratching around under them to avoid scratching glue from underneath the pads. They will stick back in there when you're done : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Resolved the same issue with my Steelseries Raw. I've been living with it for YEARS. Thank you Sir. I saved the tracks by carefully removing them with a very thin screwdriver tip. Start peeling them carefully (not bending too much) once you lift the edge a little bit instead of scratching around under them to avoid scratching glue from underneath the pads. They will stick back in there when you're done : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing, seems to have worked for me. mine wasn't bent-looking or anything that I could tell but gave them a little squeeze with needle-nose pliers in the places mentioned in your pic and I don't (yet) have scroll jumping issues now. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! Thanks for the fix! Stupid mouse...

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form