c7 chrome

Chrome Sync Awesome--Most of the time

3:56 AMPier78

So Chrome sync is really great in the sense that it allows me to be more lazy! By logging into my Gmail account, I have all my history and bookmarks sync to every computer using a Chrome browser where I log in. This was very useful when I was experimenting with a bunch of linux distros before settling down with Arch Linux (I love the idea of a rolling release distro + complete control, DIY setup). 


Needs more JPEG.


However it's also not so great. First this sync leaves a lot of questions about security and privacy implications. I remember a hilarious story about someone syncing his bookmarks at his computer at the office and ended up syncing all his adult/naughty web links. So you'd need to think twice about syncing on a non-personal device. Not only that, I noticed it also syncs passwords across each computer. This is particularly alarming for me as the passwords are pretty exposed. You are literally storing passwords, history, and bookmarks on the cloud


The biggest thing bothering me right now is the syncing of extensions across computers. Although this is great in the sense you don't need to re-install your extensions again, this presents a serious issue with security. Malware companies are buying up these extensions. This means if you have an extension installed, and the creator of that extension decides to go AWOL, this company can now deploy malware to all the computers you have synced with your account (extension updates are done automatically)!


Another thing that bothered me about the sync was its use in conjunction with my Chromebook. As I mentioned in my Chromebook Dilemma post, the "apps" that run on ChromeOS are rather extensions for the browser, not standalone executable applications. As a result I often install extensions that are purely for use on the Chromebook such as Crosh Shell Window, or a Writing Pad extension. Both of these are literally useless on a Windows or Linux OS where I have access to full blown applications that have much more functionality--yet Chrome syncs ALL these extensions on every computer. Removing the extension on those computers subsequently removes them off the Chromebook..


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form