cherry mx cherry mx blue

Modded CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

4:21 AMPier78

So I've always wanted a mechanical keyboard with blank keys. Unfortunately CoolerMaster does not sell one. I have a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid that I had purchased off Amazon a while back (2 years+). It is 10-key less and has amazing durability (still up and running after two years) and feels like its indestructible. 

Final Product

A couple of months ago I had purchased Plastic White Blank PBT Keycaps off ebay for about $26. I also disliked the color of the QFR which is a darkish brownish grey sort of color so I initially planned to use plasti-dip but unfortunatley they do not ship canned spray anything to my area and the last time I visited Home-Depot plasti-dip was out of stock. I ended up just buying some faux carbon fiber vinyl from ebay for $6.25 for a 5' by 1' roll--pretty sweet. Though its not 3M di-noc quality by anymeans, it is cheap and worked.

Clear o-rings + Blank White PBT Keycaps and Wrapped Plastic Cover

 I also bought some o-rings off ebay for the keycaps. It was much more worth it on ebay--I just made sure to get o-rings with the same specs as the ones you would find on Amazon. I'd avoid buying them from Amazon since they charge some pretty crazy prices ($15 minimum for a set of 125 pieces) when I found the same for a dollar or so from ebay. 

Not sure how that black speck on the W key got there but I cleaned it off :o

Ultimately I really liked the keycaps and o-rings. PBT caps feel a lot more durable than the ABS caps that CoolerMaster uses. However I wasn't quite satisfied with the Vinyl Wrap. Unfortunately it wasn't quite effective at wrapping around corners and as a result did not meet my satisfication. I might end up attempting to find some black plasti-dip at Lowes or trying Home Depot again but for now I am really digging the new look. This definitely brought some new life back to my keyboard.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form